Tuesday, December 20, 2016

I'm Dreaming of an Ukarumpa Christmas Part I

Though Christmas in Ukarumpa certainly has its differences, it is not quite as different as you might expect. Here are a few things we have done (and some improvisations we have made):
  • Using my warm socks (not needed as much right now because it’s summertime!) for stockings
  • Baking Christmas cookies together—Eric had to roll the dough because I fractured my pinky playing goalie at the fifth grade Christmas party
  • Using a flashlight to see the cookie dough because the electricity went out periodically during the process
  • Realizing after it was too late that I only had blue food coloring (the store closes at 4)...I decided the theme of my Christmas tree cookies was “I’ll have a blue Christmas without you”
  • Attending a live nativity scene put on by community children, complete with a “live star”
Photo by Jenise Burgess
  • Stocking up on food for two weeks because all of the departments, including the store, shut down for a two-week break
  • Spotting the differences in a PNG nativity scene

No comments:

Post a Comment