Saturday, July 2, 2016

Guest Blog: Eric

Computers have revolutionized so many different aspects of our lives, whether it’s communication, creating documents and presentations, doing research, or following the news. The same is true for Bible translation; computer programs have enhanced translation projects everywhere. But what happens when nationals want to get involved with translating the Bible into their own language, but they have never touched a computer before in their life?

Over the last week and a half, I had the privilege to serve as one of several mentors for the 12 students in the Basic Computing Course at the Training Center here in Ukarumpa, a course that provides computer training for national translators, as well as any other Papua New Guineans who are looking to become familiar with using a computer. We began with how to properly plug a computer into a power source and turn it on, worked on introductory typing and mouse exercises, and by the end of the course students were creating their own power point presentations, adding themes, transitions, and animations. It was a lot of learning in such a small amount of time!


Class ran from 8:30am-12:00pm every morning, including a tea break at 10:00, and then resumed in the afternoon from 1:30pm-4:30pm, with another tea break at 3:00. The morning would include the teaching time and different guided exercises, and the afternoon was often reserved for more individual practice of what was learned that morning, as well as opportunities for more mouse skills or typing practice.

There were definitely some challenges. Some students really caught on fast, and only asked questions about extra things they were discovering on their own, while others needed constant guidance to help them navigate all the different aspects of Microsoft that the course explored. So achievement levels were definitely varied among the different members of the class, but everyone grew, and left with more knowledge and ability than they arrived with. And to be honest, I learned a lot as well. Plenty were little things that I will probably never use, but there were several things I learned that will benefit me in my computer use!


Mentoring the course was a great reminder of why we are here. Working at the school is an important cog to keep SIL’s work running smoothly, but you can easily become isolated from a lot of the work that SIL is doing in the surrounding area, much less throughout the whole country. My assigned role may be teacher, but my work here is to serve the people of Papua New Guinea, whatever that may look like.


1 comment:

  1. I bet you had fun teaching computers to the class....when I retired, I took a class at GCC but I think I frustrated the instructor.....after a few minutes of individual instruction he got upset and yelled "Sit on your hands!"

    Mmmmm....I guess I was like my two year old grandson...."I want to push buttons, Grammie" he told me...

    ReplyDelete